NORTH WALES CRUSADERS required a second-half comeback to see off London Skolars 36-28 at the New River Stadium as they returned from the capital with a vital two points. 

It looked a familiar story for the Wrexham based side who trailed 16-10 at the break largely down to their own errors. However, a spirited showing in the second-half ensured that the Crusaders remained above the Skolars in the Betfred League One table.

The Crusaders applied some early pressure on London. However, they couldn’t make use of their good position allowing London to open the scoring with just five minutes gone.

On the back of a penalty the hosts opened their account through Michael Greenhalgh who crashed over the line on the last tackle to take an early lead.

Moments later the home side passed up on an opportunity to double their lead as play was pulled back for a forward pass with the Skolars in a dangerous position.

Crusaders found a response with ten minutes gone as a quick play of the ball set up Jack Houghton who ran through the London defence to score.

After a period of strong showing in defence, the visitors took the lead. A high-kick to the corner from Joe Lyons was collected by Dale Bloomfield who offloaded to Houghton who crossed for his, and Crusaders’, second of the afternoon.

Having held the Skolars up over the line, the Crusaders’ defence couldn’t hold out sustained pressure from the home side who crashed over beneath the posts to retake the lead.

London extended their advantage with ten minutes of the first-half remaining as a cross field kick from Jermaine Coleman was gathered and grounded to send the hosts into half-time with a 16-10 lead.

Crusaders started the second-half strongly. On the back of consecutive penalties they punished the Skolars as Simon Atherton powered his way over the London line to level the score.

Minutes later the Welsh side took the lead as Alex Thompson drove his way over the whitewash before turning to ground the ball. He was quickly followed over by Tommy Johnson who finished off a well worked Crusaders move to take the score to 28-16 in their favour. 

The tight affair continued as London pulled one back through Lamont Bryan who stepped the Crusaders defence before running the ball over to keep the game alive.

Following a successful penalty goal, the Crusaders ensured victory with five minutes to go as Kenny Baker powered his way through the Skolars defence taking the score to 36-22.

However, London weren’t finished there as they found an immediate response through Samuel Kibula who kicked a loose ball forward before pouncing on it to score taking the final score to 36-28 in favour of the visitors.