NORTH WALES CRUSADERS fought hard, but fell to a defeat at the Keepmoat Stadium as Doncaster went top of the league with a 28-20 victory over the Welsh outfit.

The Crusaders looked to have opened the scoring with just three minutes gone as Dale Bloomfield leapt over in the corner only for play to be pulled back for a forward pass in the build up.

After a period of strong defence from the visitors, the scoring was eventually opened by the hosts with 12 minutes on the clock as Brandan Wilkinson created and ran through a gap in the Crusaders’ defence to score.

The Wrexham-based side held strong in defence and were nearly rewarded for their efforts when Kenny Baker crossed in the corner, only to have his effort ruled out after his foot went into touch.

With 30 minutes gone, the Crusaders found a response as Ryan Smith broke before finding Jordan Case in support who finished the move to level the score at 6-6.

The Crusaders took the lead for the first time in the game courtesy of a penalty which was converted by Tommy Johnson to give the visitors a narrow 8-6 lead at the break.

Doncaster came out fighting as Connor Scott powered his way through the defence to open the second-half scoring with just three minutes gone.

The Dons extended their lead with 50 minutes on the clock as Jason Tali crossed the line in the corner taking the score to 16-8.

Crusaders hit back four minutes later as Jordan Case was sent through a gap to score his second of the afternoon.

Moments later Doncaster re-gained control as Richard Owen gathered a high-kick into the corner before scoring beneath the posts.

Doncaster further extended their lead through Brad England who showed strength to break through the Crusaders defence to give his side a 28-14 advantage.

However, the Welsh side weren’t finished as the ball was shifted along the line towards Kenny Baker who made no mistake to score in the corner.

Despite their best attempts, the Crusaders couldn’t reduce the deficit any further, leaving Doncaster to take the two points with a 28-20 victory at the Keepmoat Stadium.

Anthony Murray’s side will now turn their attention to next weekend’s Betfred League One clash at home to Newcastle Thunder.